Chilli With Dark Chocolate - Don’t Knock It Until You’ve Tried It!
Now that Easter is over, and the ‘back to school and work’ routine has kicked back in, you maybe wondering what to do with those left over Easter treats?
Why not give the recipe below a go, or substitute this vegan version for your own classic chilli recipe with the cheeky addition of dark chocolate-it really works!
Vegetarian Chocolate Chilli Recipe
This recipe is a flavoursome, rich chilli which is plant-based, with the addition of dark chocolate bringing depth and flavour. Dark chocolate adds richness and umami, allowing the other spices to perk up and reduce the acidity of the tomatoes.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- Finely chop the garlic, onion and peppers and add to a pan with a splash of olive oil and fry for 5 minutes. Add the cumin, cinnamon and paprika and mix together. Add a handful of chopped coriander stalks.
- Add a little bit of water to stop the vegetables from catching on the pan and cook gently until they have softened.
- Half the chestnut mushrooms then stir them into the pan, then pour in your tomatoes. Mix everything together.
- Add 300ml of water, followed by the tinned kidney beans and mixed beans. Stir everything together.
- Cook the rice according to the packet instructions.
- Occasionally stir the chilli and let it bubble away on a medium-high heat with no lid for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, the chilli should be nice and thick. Add the 5 cubes of dark chocolate and allow them to melt. Squeeze in the juice of half a lemon, season with salt and pepper then add a handful of chopped coriander leaves. Stir together, then remove from the heat.
- Serve the chilli on a bed of rice and enjoy!